The Fanpage of the Icelandic band Hellvar by Wim Van Hooste

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Heida: Truckdriver & Baking Pancakes | Dr. Gunni's Poll | No Björk


Interesting Parts of an Interview (2002) with Ólafur Josephsson of Stafrænn Håkon featuring Dr. Gunni & Heida
What do you think of the current music scene in Iceland?
It's pretty interesting. Lots of good bands/artists around. The scene is just so small over here. It's quite hard for bands to get their albums released on Icelandic labels.
Which band is the most popular or innovative in Iceland right now: Björk, Sigur Rós or Múm?
I would say Sigur Rós, because of their unique style. They've created their own thing that is not similar to anything else. They are definitely pioneers. Múm have also done a similar thing, but not as prominent.
Which of Björk's albums you rated as her best?
I don't listen to Björk.
Is "Vespertine" by Björk more popular than "Ágætis Byrjun" by Sigur Rós in Iceland????
I don't know.... I guess Sigur Rós is more popular.
Had you participated in the Dr. Gunni's poll "The Best Icelandic Albums Of Last Century" for his coffee table book about Icelandic rock music "Eru Ekki Allir I Studi?"? Did you agree with the results of 200 "professional people" and 4000 "regular people"?
Sigur Rós - "Ágætis Byrjun"
Björk - "Debut"
Megas & Spilverk Þjóðanna - "A bleikum nattkjolum" etc.
No I didn't... I think he just did the list by himself ?? But I'm not sure, so I didn't even get a chance doing that !!!! Well I haven't listened to all of the albums on the list.... but Spilverk Þjóðanna are great lots of stuff on there... Instead of Spilverk Þjóðanna at #3 I would have put Hinn Íslenzki Þursaflokkur - "Þursabit"...
Your Top 10 Icelandic albums of all time?
Here are some... but I guess I will forget something though...
Lárus Sigurðsson - "Jarðhörpusálmar"
Sigur Rós - "Ágætis Byrjun"
Hinn Íslenski Þursaflokkur - "Þursabit"
Sofandi - "Ugly Demos"
Bag Of Joys - "Nú á ég vermand vini"
Múm - "Yesterday Was Dramatic, Today is OK"
Sigur Rós - "Von"
Gunnar Jökull - "Hamfarir"
Curver - "Haf"
Náttfari - "demo"
Lárus Sigurðsson - "Encounters"
Which other bands in Iceland are very innovative? Borko, Dr. Heckle & Mr. Jive, Kuai, Sofandi?
Sofandi are great. Their album "ugly demos" was the best Icelandic record of 2001 for sure. Borko (Iceland) I've heard once live, and he's quite Múmish. Kuai are also pretty good. Dr. Heckle & Mr. Jive, haven't heard them. Sofandi are the most innovative of these bands. There is a band called Náttfari that are brilliant. Kimono is also quite good.
Your opinion about Rymi, Trabant and Úlpa?
I've heard Trabant and Úlpa, but not Rymi... Trabant are pretty good though I've only heard them live once and Úlpa are also pretty good, but only heard them live so far.I heard a track by Leaves on BBC WS this year. Maybe next big (pop) thing from Iceland? Haven't heard much... but what I've heard sounds poppy and that's not bad at all !!!! I guess they'll be more popular in this year... getting bigger....
Do you know what is Heida of ex Unun doing?
Probably baking pancakes or working as a truckdriver... No I'm not sure... I think she's doing her own stuff... I really don't care or know anything about her !!!!!!!!!!
Source:
www.post-rock.lv/files5.htm

No comments: